Sunday, January 7, 2018

Cranberry Cheesecake Pie



 
I can’t really describe how I learned to cook or bake, whether I’m referring to certain dishes or in general. It never occurred to me that I wouldn’t be able to pick up a recipe and make the thing it was telling me how to make. I trusted the text and my ability to understand what the heck everything meant. It’s a good thing, then, that my early attempts were guided by resources that had been created well.

One such invaluable resource was and still is Pillsbury: The Complete Book of Baking, published in 1993. (Two other notables are the red-and-white checked Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and Cooking Light magazine.) My mother had a copy, and whatever she and I baked from it went well. I eventually got my own copy (Mom may have given me my copy. I can’t remember.), and one of the first things I remember making in it was this simple cheesecake pie.

 
My memories of my early Cranberry Lemon Cheesecake Pies are pretty fuzzy, but I must have made it because my husband, Harry, likes citrus and other sour things. I have a hard time believing that way back then (this could have been, like, 15-18 years ago!) I successfully blind baked pie crust, although I was making quiche in those days, so I probably had it figured out. Who can remember these things.


Clearly, and most importantly, I do remember this dessert, even though years can pass between pies. It’s very simple to make, with the blind baked crust being the most complicated thing about it. The cheesecake filling is simply whipped up cream cheese and heavy cream lightly sweetened and flavored with lemon zest. No need to bake it. The topping is a sweetened cranberry sauce made as easily as classic Cranberry Sauce.

I think this could be really simple to change up for the seasons or to include your favorite flavors. The lemon zest could be replaced with orange, tangerine or lime, and any pie-filling-like fruit topping could work in place of the cranberries. As quick and easy as this is, you could try all of your ideas and eat your way through lots of fruity cheesecake-y bliss.




Cranberry Lemon Cheesecake Pie

Most recently, I made this using a store-bought pie crust (Pillsbury brand seemed appropriate.) The blind baking time was a little less than I use for a thicker homemade crust. Pay close attention during the final blind baking phase so that you do not overbrown or burn your crust.


Pastry for a single crust pie, homemade (such as the one in this post) or store bought

For the topping
¾ cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoons cornstarch
1 ½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries (no need to thaw if frozen)
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoons cornstarch

For the filling
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest


1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the pie dough into a 9-inch pie pan, being careful not to stretch. Blind bake according to the method in this post (or using your favorite method). Watch the crust carefully during the final baking step and avoid overbrowning.

2. Remove the pie pan from the oven and cool completely.

3. Combine the 3 tablespoons sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Mix together and set aside.

4. To make the cranberry topping, combine the cranberries ¾ cup sugar and water in a medium size saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.

5. Bring the mixture to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Return to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool completely. This can be made a day or two ahead. Cover and chill.

6. To make the filling, beat together the cream cheese and whipping cream with a hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. Add the 1/3 cup sugar and beat until well combined. Beat in the lemon zest.

7. Spoon the cream cheese mixture evenly into to prepared pie crust. Spoon the cranberry mixture over the cream cheese mixture and spread evenly. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes 6-8 servings.






No comments:

Post a Comment