Monday, January 1, 2018

21 Favorite Winter Salads



Resolutions, schmesolutions. I don’t do them. That doesn’t mean I don’t try to set goals for the year. It just means that I really don’t have much perspective, so I tend to expect the unexpectable and the whole year goes to hell in a totally unorganized hand basket almost immediately. I just am not interested in that kind of stress.



I do have secret hopes of accomplishing great things, though, and I clean my personal slate and reset myself regularly…with limited results. Improving my diet, my stress level, and my productivity are always on my wish lists, and after holiday celebrations and lack of attention to health caused by too much busy-ness, a bit of a re-evaluation of what’s on the table is in order.

An article in the most recent issue of Eating Well magazine summed up some advice of health and nutrition experts. The focus was what one thing can a person do to improve their health in 2018. Much of the advice was familiar and predictable, which, I think, means it’s valid, even if you’ve heard it before. Among those wise words were to eat more vegetables, eat more beans, and eat more whole grains. My list of favorite winter salad recipes from The Messy Apron Archives may be able to positively contribute to the making of those changes.

 
These salads range from hearty main dish or all-you-need-for-lunch offerings to side dish salads of winter leaves or shredded slaws. Most are dressed with a light and fresh vinaigrette, rather than anything creamy. There are fruits and cheeses involved, as well as nuts and seeds. All different kinds of winter vegetables are featured. So are whole grains and a few beans.


If you’re hoping to clean up your post-holiday diet without starving or getting bored, I’m hoping this list can give you some ideas. I know I love each and every one of these seasonal salads, and plan to dig into these recipes to freshen up my life in this New Year. Happy 2018!!





No comments:

Post a Comment