Monday, August 19, 2019

Ingredient of the Week: Peppers

 
This week’s Ingredient of the Week is peppers, all. A bit of a cheat, I suppose, when you consider all the ways the chile pepper can present itself botanically and culinarily. From spicy and earthy to sweet and fruity, fresh, dried, pickled, and sauced, peppers are a varied delight. I’m not going to pretend I know much about them, or that my experience is vast, but I know what I like, so here goes.





Monday
This recipe for Pasta with Sausage, Peppers, and Olives is a winner, winner, weeknight dinner. It features bell peppers, any color you like, but that spicy in your sausage comes from peppers, too!
 





Tuesday
I have better success planting hot chile peppers than bell peppers, and was hoping to make this easy Homemade Hot Pepper Sauce this year. Alas, some feral beastie has eaten most of the peppers off the plants. I assume there’s a fire-breathing rabbit or rodent out there somewhere.



Thursday
This savory Ricotta Tart with Peppers and Onions starts with slow cooked peppers and onions. It's herb-scented olive oil crust makes it especially delicious.




Friday
This Roasted Red Pepper, Garlic, and Onion Dip is a great addition to an end-of-summer party table. You can use the grill to do your “roasting,” keeping summer going as long as possible.


Saturday
Macaroni and Cheese with Roasted Poblanos and Smoked Paprika has all the comfort of cheesy noodles with a slow burn of flavor from the poblano chiles. Smoked paprika brings one of my all-time favorite flavors along, too.







Next week’s ingredient: Fresh Basil


No comments:

Post a Comment