Sunday, August 18, 2019

Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies



I actually remember my first exposure to zucchini cookies. I invited three friends for a camping birthday party when I was about 9 years old, and one of them brought some zucchini cookies to share. I can’t say I remember much about their flavor, but I do remember that they were cookies first, and the zucchini wasn’t much of a factor, at least as far as a 9 or 10 year old could tell.

I don’t remember any other zucchini cookies after that. Until I tried to make them myself a couple of times in the last two years or so. One recipe was a “breakfast cookie” and the other was a more traditional dessert/snack cookie. Both were recipes I got from the internet or magazine clippings or similar sources. Both were bad. I was going to have to abandon trust in my predecessors and figure this out on my own. Because there’s so much zucchini.

 
Moisture seems to be the key when baking with zucchini, since the grated squash brings plenty of it. I decided to try working with the basic bones of this Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookie recipe, which was designed to manage the moisture of cooked fresh apples. My first try was tasty, but, alas, structurally insecure. The cookies were hard to get off the baking sheet in one piece, and further disintegrated as they cooled and were stored. Their flavor was quite good, and a friend liked them, so I decided to try to fix them.

I did three things that I thought would help: added more flour, let the dough rest a few hours, and made sure I wasn’t haphazardly throwing in too much zucchini. The second trial was a success. The cookies are soft and chewy, sweet and gently spiced, moist but not droopy.


I used regular oats, and quite a lot of them, in the dough, and I think giving the dough time to rest allowed them to absorb some of the zucchini juice. I doubled down on the oaty-ness with some oat flour, increasing that to be equal with the all-purpose flour in the successful run. This serves to bump up the cookies’ whole food quotient, but gives them a nuttier flavor, too.

These cookies could take on some add-ins, too. I’d like to add raisins and/or nuts, such as pecans or walnuts. Other warm spices, such as ginger or cardamom would also be good.

With a dose of vegetables and so much whole grain, these Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies do taste rather wholesome, but won’t make you feel like sacrifices are being made in order to have dessert. That being said, I fully intend add their somewhat wholesomeness to tomorrow’s breakfast.


Zucchini Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup oat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
1 stick (½ cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup, packed, dark brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cup old fashioned oats
1 cup grated fresh zucchini

1. In a medium-size bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk together to combine well. Set aside.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in another large bowl if mixing by hand), combine the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Using the paddle attachment, beat together until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

3. Slowly add the flour mixture, beating until just moistened. Beat in the oats. Stir in the zucchini by hand with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Cover the dough and chill for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.

4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. Dough can be baked right out of the refrigerator or you can bring it to room temperature if you have time. Chilled dough will need to be baked a little longer.

5. Scoop the dough in heaping tablespoons onto the prepared sheet. Bake at 375 F for 11-13 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown and the tops appear set and dry.

6. Cool on the pan for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool on a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough. Store cookies at room temperature in airtight containers for a few days. Store frozen in zip-top bags in the freezer for a few weeks.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.









No comments:

Post a Comment