Monday, August 12, 2019

Ingredient of the Week: Fresh Tomatoes



For the last two weeks, I’ve declared an Ingredient of the Week for The Messy Apron on social media (specifically Twitter, Facebook, and this board and this board on Pinterest). I link to Archive recipes or new posts featuring that ingredient. Usually, it’s a favorite recipe that I’m enjoying again, one I plan to make soon, or one I wish I could be making.


Two weeks ago was corn week, and I made this new salad, and this old favorite pasta dish. I also dreamed (in the form of social media posts) of this pasta dish and this savory pie.


Last week’s ingredient was summer squash, and I, of course, made zucchini bread, this delicious dip, and this bowlof creamy summer comfort.
 
This week I’m featuring fresh tomatoes! They’re popping forth from my garden, and I couldn’t be happier about it. I love good fresh tomatoes so much, I rarely will eat them unless I’ve just picked them. I am officially a tomato snob!


I’m starting a link list in this post and will add links as I post them on social media. A link to this post can be found in the sideboard to the right, so you (and I) can keep track of delicious, delicious tomato progress through the week.

Monday
Cherry tomatoes ripen first in my garden. I try to keep ingredients on hand to make this Pasta with Cherry Tomatoes, Basil and Olives as soon as there are enough of them.




Tuesday
The first large tomato that I don't just eat on my way in from the garden usually goes into the purest of meals: a tomato sandwich. Just thick-sliced tomato with mayonnaise on toast. Most of the time, I embellish with sea salt, fresh black pepper, and torn fresh basil. I suppose you could put some bacon and lettuce on this sandwich, too.

Most often I make this wheat bread for sandwiches, but in the summer, when the fresh ingredients are available, I like to construct tomato sandwiches on Zucchini Wheat Bread or Whole Wheat Cornmeal Bread with Basil




Here’s some advice from Epicurious about keeping your baked tomato dishes from getting soggy.


Wednesday
Gazpacho, a breadless version here, is my favorite way to celebrate tomatoes – also cucumbers peppers, onions…and summer!




And then there’s this tomato salad at Epicurious.



Thursday

This Savory Cherry Tomato Clafouti is an easy week-night tomato treat.


 


Friday

This post covers the method for roasting cherry tomatoes as well as baking them into Roasted Cherry Tomato and Olive Galette.




Saturday
This Tomato and Cucumber Pico de Gallo is great on chickpea tostadas (also in the post), but you can certainly add it to any taco or burrito, or eat it with tortilla chips. Or all alone with a spoon!



And this tomato tart at Smitten Kitchen looks rather fabulous.


Sunday
Cherry Tomato Vinaigrette is a great all-purpose summer salad dressing. It’s good on greens, beans, and just about any combination of chopped summer vegetables.



The next thing I'd love to make is my own version of this tomato jam


And that finishes off Tomato week!

Next week: Peppers!




No comments:

Post a Comment