Monday, May 7, 2018

Archive Recipe: Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce


 
Early last week I peeked in the back yard at the rhubarb plants growing in the sunny spot next to the shed. “Great,” I thought. “It looks like I will be able to cut a few stalks by the weekend.”


Well, plenty of rain followed by a few days of warm sunshine, and my little rhubarb patch developed fleshy personality all its own. Saturday brought way more rhubarb than I need, and my mind was racing in panicky circles, trying to figure out what I should make first.

Of course, while rhubarb is one of the first plants ready to eat in the early spring, the plants will keep going, even with minimal upkeep, all summer long. I can calm down a bit and start with the basic Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce that always makes me happy. 


I published this recipe ages ago as part of a dessert recipe that involved folding it into whipped cream. (This can also be frozen for a hot-weather treat.) I thought it deserved further mention, since I make it so much, as well as some new photos.

I also added one little, and I mean little, optional twist to this recipe. I can’t find where I read this idea (sorry), but I decided to try adding a few dashes of bitters into the mix. It’s delicious! I used orange Angostura bitters, but you could use original Angostura bitters, or any others you like. (I have a bottle of rhubarb bitters somewhere, but do you think I can find it now that I have heard of this great idea? Of course not!) The bitters added a subtle herbal and floral note to the sauce that I found really wonderful. I didn’t know what to expect, and I was very pleasantly surprised. The bitters aren’t necessary, just unique without being weird. I also think you could add a teaspoon of gin, or perhaps orange liqueur, amaretto, or something else fruity or botanical.


This sauce is great in and on all kinds of things. We loved it on our pancakes this weekend, and it’s also good on vanilla or strawberry ice cream, stirred into yogurt, or spooned over a cake, like this one. I can’t wait to make more! And, if I can’t wait to get to the store for more strawberries, I might just make Blueberry Rhubarb Sauce, or this rhubarb sauce with brown sugar and vanilla. Of course, there are lots of other great things to make with rhubarb and lots of new recipes to try. It’s a good thing there’s a lot of rhubarb!




Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce
I used about 1/8 teaspoon orange Angostura bitters with good results.

8 ounces rhubarb, chopped
8 ounces strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
½ cup sugar
1/8-1/4 teaspoon bitters, or to taste (optional)

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Heat, stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved and the fruit begins to give off liquid. Bring to a boil.

2. Simmer until the liquid has reduced and thickened somewhat, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the bitters if using. Serve warm or chill until ready to use.

Makes about 2 cups sauce.





No comments:

Post a Comment