Sunday, April 29, 2018

Favorite Vehicles for Maple Syrup



So often, maple syrup gets added to recipes in the fall. I won’t deny that it goes extremely well with fall foods and flavors, but since maple syrup really is a spring product, I like to celebrate it at this time of year. Recently, I got a big boost in that desire to celebrate by a rather large gift of homemade syrup.

My uncle and cousin tap on the order of 90 sugar maple trees in Upper Michigan, collect the watery sap, and boil it down into delicious liquid gold. My cousin may have been unloading the end of last year’s batches when he gave me 4 pints of syrup in March, but if one were to add up the retail value of this pure Grade A goodness, I have no choice than to feel like an important and well-loved part of an extremely generous family.

2018’s spring syrup crop has been boiled and sealed away, ready for baking and drizzling all year long. Here, I have complied a list of my favorite uses for maple syrup from The Messy Apron Archives. I have all the good stuff here, from maple flavored baked goods to pancakes, waffles, and the homemade breads that make the best French Toast.

Maple syrup is a subtle flavor in baked goods, but I find it a lovely way to bring on the sweetness, and a little goes a long way.  It’s really great with dates, like in Maple Cake with Walnuts and Dates

 


I love it for sweetening homemade Granola, too.


                                           
And for more savory applications there’s Maple Walnut Vinaigrette, which is great on the spinach salad in the same post and the grain salad in this one.

And Maple Glazed Winter Squash and Potatoes, which is, admittedly, a more autumnal recipe. I think other vegetables, or even tempeh and tofu could benefit from this application. 

 
The majority of my maple syrup does end up playing a more traditional role, however: that of properly gilding pancakes, waffles, and French toast. The most popular pancake recipe on The Messy Apron is this one for Barley Pancakes with Orange Juice and Vanilla.

 
But all of the others, including, Butter Pecan Pancakes, Coconut Pineapple Pancakes, and Double Banana Walnut Pancakes are appropriate vehicles for maple syrup as well.

Waffles are great, too, and I can’t think of a reason not to drench them in maple syrup. For thin and crispy waffles, there’s Crispy Light Wheat and Cinnamon Waffles

 
 


Finally, let’s not forget French toast, which I think needs to be made with thick slices of bread, especially homemade bread like White Sandwich Bread.


Whether it’s baked-in or poured-upon, maple syrup is a fabulous addition to all kinds of sweet breakfasts, desserts, snacks, even salads. For me, imitation just won’t do. I have a source, however, and I recommend studying up to find one for yourself. Even if you have to pay the premium on a well-made commercially available maple syrup, I recommend doing so. Like any other specialty product, if you appreciate it and use it well, your life can be a wonderful culinary adventure! But even if you’re just dousing your made-from-mix pancakes or frozen waffles in it, you’re indulging in one of North America’s greatest treats.



No comments:

Post a Comment