Friday, February 28, 2014

Kumquat Riesling Sauce



I don’t have much to say about this recipe. Not because it’s not an interesting recipe. It is. It’s delicious and not hard to make. I don’t have much to say because I’m tired. I like to pretend I’m not tired because you can’t see me dozing off from where you are, but sometimes I just have to give in.

So here is this recipe, which I adapted from Fine Cooking magazine. I scaled it down a bit because the original called for 12 ounces of kumquats and the package I bought contained 8 ounces. I also used vanilla extract and ground cinnamon where the original called for vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. The substitution seem okay to me, but I suppose a vanilla bean would make it even more delicious.

The ingredient list may make you think this sauce would be excessively sweet, but don’t be too afraid. The tartness and touch of bitterness in the kumquats balances the sugar nicely. In fact, I’d argue that you might just need that much sweetness to make the kumquats into dessert.


And this sauce is great with dessert. I loved it on this simple yogurt cake and it was fabulous on vanilla ice cream as well. It lasts a couple weeks in the refrigerator, so I say, as soon as you can get your hands on the ingredients and as soon as you have the time and energy to slice up a couple handfuls of kumquats, make this sauce. It’ll be waiting to reward you by jazzing up simple desserts on those days when you just get too tired. Good night and good luck!

Kumquat Riesling Sauce

Adapted from Fine Cooking magazine (Feb/Mar 2011)

Serve this sauce on simple vanilla or citrus cakes or on vanilla ice cream.

1 ½ cups Riesling
½ cup honey
1/3 cup sugar
2 ¼ inch slices peeled fresh ginger
¼ cup water
8 ounces kumquats, thinly sliced and seeded
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. In a medium-size saucepan, combine the Riesling, honey, sugar, ginger and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil.

2. Stir in the sliced kumquats and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook about 30 minutes or until the kumquat slices are tender and appear translucent.

3. Cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or cold.
Makes about 2 ½ cups.




No comments:

Post a Comment