Saturday, August 15, 2020

Creamy Sauteed Corn




This side dish is simple, quick, endlessly variable, and I want to eat it all the time. A few times each summer, when I have lots of fresh corn on the cob, I cut some off and toss it in a pan with some other flavorful ingredients. Making it buttery and creamy is optional, but terrifically delicious.

Mostly, I use what I have on hand, but I do really like this sort of Southwestern version with peppers, onions, and cilantro. Diced tomatoes would also be good stirred in at the end, as would avocado sprinkled on top. I always debate whether I should add cumin, ground coriander seed, or chili powder. They would certainly be good additions, but I kept things summery and fresh in this version.


There are other flavor profiles that would work with the corn, too. I’m thinking caramelized onions, shiitake mushrooms, lots of fresh herbs. I love the richness of cream or half and half here, but you could lighten things up and leave it out. You could also make this vegan by cooking with your favorite oil instead of butter and either substituting the cream with coconut milk or omitting it entirely.

Think of this as a basic recipe that you can make your own. This way with corn is so versatile, you can make it any time with what you have on hand. You could even turn it into a main dish by adding some black or pinto beans. And if you don’t mind me sharing a secret, I’ll tell you that it’s mighty fine when made with ordinary supermarket frozen corn in the middle of winter, too. If I’m smart enough to cut and freeze some of my golden summer bounty now, I really can eat this all the time.


Creamy Sauteed Corn

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced red onion
¼ cup finely diced red bell pepper
½ teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt, divided
2 cups corn kernels (cut from about 4 fresh corn cobs)
1 medium clove garlic, minced
½ small fresh chile pepper, minced (or to taste)
¼ cup heavy cream or half and half
1 medium scallion, finely chopped
¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped

1. Melt the butter in a medium-size or large skillet over medium heat. Add the red onion, red bell pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook 3-5 minute, or until the peppers and onions are softened and the onion is translucent.

2. Add the corn and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently until the corn is lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and chile.

3. Stir in the cream. Bring to a simmer and decrease the heat to low. Continue to cook until the cream has reduced to a thick coating on the vegetables.

4. Stir in the scallion and cilantro. Continue cooking just until heated through. Taste and adjust seasonings, especially salt, as desired.

Makes 2 large or 4 small side dish servings.



Another recipe like this one: Scalloped Corn with Sour Cream and Chile



No comments:

Post a Comment