Wednesday, July 3, 2019

5 Fabulous Potato Salads



A resident at the facility where I act out The Day Job brought up to me today that the year is half over already. I think I kept my shriek of existential dread internal as I agreed with her and made some comment about finally getting used to writing 2019 on things. I then salved my wounded soul with the thought that weather-wise and botanically speaking, there’s still a lot of summer left at least. And lots of summer eating including, among other delightful things, potato salads.

Potato salad can be anything from comfort food to summer herb and vegetable showcase. Here are some links to potato salad recipes from The Messy Apron Archives that represent a variety of needs and tastes. I hope they inspire your summer gathering menus, especially for the upcoming extra-long 4th of July weekend.


Many of us Midwesterners think of creamy mayonnaise-based potato salads first and foremost, and we each probably have our favorite recipe. Here’s the way I like to make Classic Potato Salad, with bell peppers and hard-boiled eggs. You can certainly adapt it, and even use this vegan mayonnaise to change things up.



This Potato Salad with Chinese Flavors has added bacon and a dressing punched up with soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. The fiery Chinese hot mustard is the secret ingredient that makes it extra special.



This Lemon Herb Potato Salad features plenty of fresh herbs and lemon and has a lighter, mayo-free dressing. I love to make it when my herb garden is in full swing.

These last two recipes really put the “salad” in “potato salad” with their inclusion of lots of vegetables. Potato Salad with Fresh Vegetables and Olives features my favorites of high summer: cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers, plus fresh basil, too.


And Potato, Broccoli and Green Bean Salad with Tarragon Mustard Dressing goes extra-green with veggies. The zesty Dijon dressing laced with tarragon takes it in a different direction than other creamy potato salads.

Don't let existential dread cloud your summer fun. Comfort yourself or your summer dinner party guests with a customized potato salad that suits your personal needs and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment