Friday, December 14, 2018

Friday Night: Christmas Thoughts

I haven’t quite given up on Christmas yet.

Yet.


I have a couple of co-workers who cheerfully sing and shout, “Christmas!” whenever a Christmas song is played on the local radio station (which is shockingly often). They’re asking me what level of Christmas attire they will be allowed to wear to work on Christmas Day. (Christmas pants!?!) They are unapologetic and refuse to be ground under the grumblings of the rest of us. They may be saving my life.

I don’t know what happened….well, maybe I do. I’ve always loved Christmas. As a child, I couldn’t wait for the season. I listened to my vinyl Christmas records as much as I could. I refused to stop believing in Santa Claus. As an adult, I baked and made candies, made homemade gifts and hand-decorated wrapping paper. I even still listened to Christmas music voluntarily.

And then, somehow, Christmas became a job. There were so many things to do. So many people to please. Food gifts, which I loved to give, often fell into the, “I don’t like this,” category, and didn’t seem worth fussing over. And then The Day Job became the Christmas job, quite literally. I’m in management and am not supposed to be part of the holiday rotation, but food service staffing is ridiculously sparse. It appears that I will be working on Christmas again this year, which will be three of the last four years. I also will have a difficult time getting enough days off in a row to make the 300-mile trip to visit my family. My husband’s family is three times further away, and we see them even less often.

There are also, of course, people I miss at the holidays, but, while their absence is painful, the memories are peaceful, funny, and warm.

I’ve never thought I’d need to be Whoville-ed into checking my own special brand of cynicism, but I’ve been exposed as a Grinch, or nearly so. My co-workers have put me in my place without really intending to. They also have to work for the holidays. They also won’t get to visit faraway family, or don’t have much family to visit. They’re determined to enjoy themselves, however, and, by the end of last week, I was feeling not a little shame.

And so I stocked up on my favorites…

**From the stores. There are a few store-bought treats that are only available at this time of year, and their perceived rarity makes them even more delicious. My husband has to have a box or two of dark chocolate covered cherries with liquid centers. I particularly love white fudge dipped Oreo cookies, white chocolate-peppermint covered pretzels, and minty M&M’s.

**Ideas. Many of my favorite things at this time of year are ideas: crafts I don’t have time to make, new dessert and cookie recipes I hope to try, old favorites I want to enjoy. For example, I want to make a peppermint infused version of a basic white cake (like this one I put berries in). I think it would be good with chocolate ganache on top or a minty version of this Simple Butter Frosting.



I also have ideas for eggnog butter cookies, cranberry pie, and big decadent cheesecakes.

**Old favorites. I’ve already had a chance to make batches of some of my favorite cookies for Christmas, such as Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter Cups, Milk Chocolate Chip and M&M Cookies, and Sugar Cookies. I also have ingredients on hand to make Mint Chocolate Cookies, Eggnog Muffins with Streusel Topping, Caramel Corn, peanut brittle (I use the Better Homes and Gardens recipe), and fudge.

 
Yes, I’m making my way through this holiday season, trying to enjoy a new path to new traditions, starting with a Friend-mas celebration this weekend. I’m doing my best to express my appreciation to the co-workers who are helping me see the light. And seeing light somewhere is really what we need to do. These literally dark days call for as much celebration as we can manage. Sweet treats, family and friend traditions, giving gifts and graciously receiving them, and decorating (my tree is up and partially decorated!): these things help us get through the cold and snow and ice and 4:00 pm sunsets. This power we have over the potential for our environment to turn us into Grinch-y Scrooges is what makes us human. Enjoy the season however you can!



No comments:

Post a Comment