Monday, October 2, 2017

Fluffernutter Dip





This recipe is almost silly. It’s ludicrously easy to make. It has dubious (at best) nutritional value. It’s designed pretty much just for fun. It even has a goofy name.

But something this ridiculously delicious is allowed to be as silly as it needs to be! This dip is so good I have to be careful. It’s delicious on apples or graham crackers. I think pretzels would be good dipped in it as well. It’s great spread on a toasted slice of sandwich bread or baguette. It’s yummy licked right off of a spoon. I’m even thinking I might just eat a stick dipped in this stuff! 


This sweet and delicious dip is, of course, based on the fluffernutter sandwich, which is made by spreading creamy peanut butter and marshmallow fluff on bread, probably white bread, so it can be as squishy as possible. I never eat such sandwiches (although my husband does), but a dip. Hmmmm.

What made me just go ahead and do it was the cream cheese base, similar to what was going on in this dip and the dip in this post, both of which I adore. That cream cheese turns out to be what saves the fluffernutter dip from the super sweetness of marshmallow fluff and the relative natural sweetness of peanut butter. It gives it a good balance of tanginess as well as sturdy base. It might also help make one believe that this is actually food, rather than just candy.


And now I’m in trouble. As I mentioned above, this is not just great for dipping, but it’s good as a spread, too. When kept in the refrigerator, it even stays spreadable, and so, I’m afraid this is not just becoming a snack food in my house, but a part of a complete breakfast as well.

Since this makes a pretty big bowl of dip, I’m trying to think of some other ways to use it. It could easily be spread on just about anything that one might spread peanut butter or cream cheese, but I’m thinking it might just be good baked into some kind of pastry. It might even be good as a frosting. I’m hoping to have some time to experiment this week. Otherwise, I’m going to need a lot more sticks.


Fluffernutter Cream Cheese Dip (or Spread)
Based on a variety of recipes

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
7 ounces marshmallow crème (aka Fluff)
½ cup creamy peanut butter

1. With a hand-held electric mixer, beat the cream cheese in a medium-size bowl until it is fluffy.

2. Add the marshmallow crème. Beat until smooth.

3. Add the peanut butter. Fold in with a spoon or rubber spatula until well combined, but a few streaks and stripes of peanut butter are still visible. Serve as a dip with apples, graham crackers, etc., or as a spread on bread.

Makes about 2 cups







No comments:

Post a Comment