Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Honey Wheat Pancakes




Well, February is gone, and I know neither where nor how. I did try some new recipes, but somehow didn’t get around to telling you about them. I do this too much, I know, but as I flip a new calendar page, I try to start fresh, try not look back (except to repeat a good meal, dish, snack or dessert, of course). Flip. Flip. Flip.



Just like pancakes. Delicious, honey-sweetened, whole-grain enhanced buttermilk pancakes. I’ve made these on a couple of non-working weekends, and they’ve made us very happy.

Lately, when I try a variation on pancakes, I start with a very simple buttermilk pancake recipe that I have memorized. That was the case here as well. All I did was sub in whole wheat pastry flour for some of the all-purpose, honey for the sugar, butter for the oil. I tried these with both whole wheat pastry flour and regular whole wheat flour and found that, while both were very good, the texture of pancakes with the regular whole wheat flour was a little more coarse. I found that I favored the softer pastry flour pancakes just a bit.


That difference is small, however, so I’ll probably flip back and for the between them as well as flip back to a white flour pancake or this butter pecan version. Just like I flip that calendar. Except, of course, the flip of the pancake is temporary as I intend to enjoy both sides.


Honey Wheat Pancakes

If you do not have buttermilk on hand, you could substitute with ¾ cup plain or vanilla yogurt and ¼ cup milk.

½ cup whole wheat pastry flour or regular whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat an electric frying pan or electric griddle to 350 F, or heat a large skillet on the stove over medium heat. Preheat the oven to 200 F for holding finished pancakes.

2. In a medium-size bowl, combine the whole wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together to combine well. Set aside.

3. Meanwhile, melt the butter. In another medium-size bowl, lightly beat the egg. Gradually pour in the melted butter and whisk to combine well. Whisk in the honey. Whisk in the buttermilk.

4. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until all the dry ingredients are moistened.

5. Spray the heated griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Pour a scant ¼ cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake. Cook until the bottom is browned and bubbles begin to form on the top. Flip the pancakes over and cook on the other side until browned. Place the cooked pancakes in an oven-safe dish and hold in the preheated oven while cooking the rest of the batter. Serve with butter and maple syrup or honey.

Makes about 8 pancakes.






No comments:

Post a Comment