Sunday, August 11, 2013

Blueberry Recipe Fantasies


I do not have what it takes to work full time and bake my way through a 5-pound box of fresh blueberries. Oh, the shame!


What I did manage to produce in the time I had was a nice little blueberry sauce (somewhat like this one, but without the rhubarb and with less sugar) to serve over waffles and an attempt at a smallish pot of freezer jam that I haven't properly taste-tested yet.


Of course, I wanted to make this fabulous pie again this year, but couldn't quite squeeze it into my time and calorie budget.

Most of the blueberries, which are totally delicious, were saved from corruption and are nestled into the freezer right now, awaiting the opportunity to enhance cakes or muffins or pancakes or whatever else I suits my fancy that doesn't absolutely require the blueberries to be fresh (not frozen). I'd love to make these cupcakes, for instance, from the charming blog Annie's Eats. This Blueberry Muffin Cake from Fine Cooking also looks delicious and not too complicated (although I'm thinking a crumb topping somewhat like the one I used on these muffins might not be an unwelcome addition.) And these Blueberry Oat Scones from Molly Wizenberg for Bon Appetit magazine have been on my to-do list since the article in which they were presented first appeared.

And then, of course, there's the blueberries and cream angle. I'm thinking some kind of cheesecake or blueberry cheesecake flavored ice cream or perhaps this slightly simpler idea from Food Network Magazine: Blueberry Cheesecake Galette.


Ah, well, with any luck I'll get around to a few of these delicious-looking recipes. (Actually I could have already but for a certain hazelnut cake I'll have to tell you about soon.) Until I have a blueberry weekend or even a blueberry afternoon available they'll just have to remain part of my kitchen fantasy. Well, these recipes and any of the hundreds of others I'm sure to find in the meantime!



No comments:

Post a Comment