Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Green Pea Hummus


 


I do have peas in my garden. Some. Just enough to eat out of hand, savoring their special seasonal flavor. To make hummus out of green peas, where one would usually use chickpeas, is going require a bit of a cheat. Since I don’t have a source of enough fresh peas, I used frozen peas to make this delicious dip.

Like traditional hummus, this one is made with tahini (sesame seed paste), lemon juice and plenty of garlic. Actually, I used the uniquely spring ingredient, garlic scapes in place of garlic cloves when I made this. I happened to have acquired some from the local farmer’s market and I like to use them this time of year when I make garlicky recipes. You certainly could stick with garlic cloves, and, if I make this again, I’ll likely be using them, too. Parsley also gives the flavor of this hummus a bit of a boost and keeps things especially green.
 


There’s nothing more to Green Pea Hummus than quickly cooking a package of frozen peas in boiling water, draining and cooling them off, and then whirling them in the food processor with the rest of the ingredients until smooth and dip-able. I served this with pita chips, but I think it would make a mighty fine sandwich spread as well, although it’s not quite as thick as traditional hummus.


  I realize it isn’t spring anymore, but here in Minnesota, only fast-growing early produce crops have been available. Green Pea Hummus, served as a dip for pita chips, crackers or even some raw veggies is right at home on the table with those early-season favorites. Just because the lettuce and radishes are soon to be replaced with summer squash and cucumbers, however, doesn’t mean I’ll have to stop making this rich, filling and fresh-tasting hummus variation.

 
 

Green Pea Hummus
Adapted from Cooking Light magazine

I used some Aleppo pepper to spice up my hummus. You could replace it with cayenne or some other form of chile pepper, or you could leave it out for a milder flavor.
 

10 ounce package frozen green peas
½ cup chopped parsley (I used flat-leaf)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon Aleppo pepper
¾ teaspoon coarse salt
3 cloves garlic or ¼ cup garlic scapes, chopped
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil


1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the frozen peas and cook about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water. Drain well. (You could also drain from the boiling water and rinse in cold water until cool.)

2. Place the drained peas and the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Process until nearly smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as needed. With the machine running, pour the olive oil, through the opening in the top of the food processor lid. Continue to process until very smooth.

3. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Transfer to a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

 

Other recipes like this one: Hummus, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Dip

No comments:

Post a Comment