Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cucumber Salsa

Now begins, it seems, the truly lazy days of the year. Not only does the heat and humidity keep me from really wanting to tackle anything too difficult, there also are so many fresh and fantastic foods coming into the markets (and in my garden!) that don’t need much altering to make into simple, tasty dishes. It’s just too easy to toss fresh things together into a salad or with some pasta or into a wok. It’s just too easy to vary a favorite dish by garnishing it with some seasonal variation.

The problem with such a breezy lifestyle is that one’s recipe blog can get neglected. And a neglected blog is a sad thing, wasting away somewhere in the ether. So, I’ll tell you about the cucumber salsa I made. It was much like other salsas and I served it on black bean tostadas much like these.


I made this crisp and refreshing salsa (probably more like pico de gallo in its chunky consistency) with some locally-grown hot-house cucumbers, although I’m looking forward to making it with some of the garden-grown cukes that are sneaking into the farmer’s market. I won’t waste your time with the sad story of the pathetic progress of the cucumbers I planted, but I will tell you that my mint and cilantro are growing well, and I was able to use those to make this.


There’s plenty of lime juice and fresh chile to make this salsa tart and spicy, although you could adjust that to taste. For me it’s mostly about the cucumbers and herbs, and since this is so low in calories and high in fresh vegetables, I feel like I can endlessly scoop it with tortilla chips. I’m not perfect. It also was very nice on my tostadas, and this recipe will probably tide me over until fresh tomatoes arrive. And, with any luck, when they do arrive, I probably will be wasting your time with the story of how they grew so well in my own garden.



Cucumber Salsa with Cilantro and Mint
Adapted from Bon Appetit

1 medium garlic clove, peeled
½ teaspoon coarse salt
2 cups finely diced cucumber (peeled if desired)
½ cup finely diced red onion
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 small jalapeno pepper, finely diced (remove seeds and ribs for a milder salsa)
3 tablespoons lime juice

1. Coarsely chop the garlic and sprinkle the salt over it. Make a garlic salt paste and place it in a small bowl.

2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.

Makes about 3 cups.


Another recipe like this one: Tomato and Cucumber Pico deGallo

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow! I just realized that this is the 300th post to The Messy Apron!!

    ReplyDelete