Thursday, December 29, 2011

2011 in Review

2011 has been an odd year for me. I have to admit that overall, it wasn’t so good. But, I did move into a new home, launched a new blog about books and reading, and had a lot of great things to eat.

This year, I got to tell you about some favorite, oft-enjoyed recipes like Soup Beans, Yogurt Tortillas with Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Cornmeal Bread with Basil and White Beans with Sage and Garlic; I found a new, tasty way to use up beets and yet another way to make a cabbage slaw; and I made a somewhat sputtering effort to get more out of my cookbook collection (I think I smell a New Year’s resolution). I stuck with seasonal and fresh ingredients, but still got my cookie on (much to the dismay of my waistband…another resolution?)

2012 will have more of the same, if I have anything to say about it, and I think I do. I’m feeling like whole grains in January, perhaps some naughty sweets in February, and maybe a cocktail or two for celebrations (or whatever!). What I’m looking forward to most in 2012, however, is the possibility of planting my own vegetable garden. That’s right, the new yard has room for digging, so we’ll see how green is my thumb. You’ll be hearing about it for sure, because the worst that could happen is that we all learn a little something from my failures. Wish me luck!

I attempted to compile a concise list of my favorite recipes from 2011, perhaps a top 10 or even 11 in honor of the year. What I ended up with is a list of 16 of my absolute favorites. I just couldn’t narrow it down any further, and typed these below before I could think about it too much more. If you ask me tomorrow, I’d probably come up with a different list.

I wish you all the best in 2012. Happy New Year!!

Should auld recipes be forgot
And never brought to mind;
Should favorite dishes be forgot,
Just check in the archive!

2011 Favorites
Roasted Winter Vegetables and Sausage
Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake with Chocolate Crust
Winter Squash and Chickpea Salad with Apricots and Tahini Dressing
Creamy Parsnip Slaw with Peppers and Olives
Warm Noodles with Cilantro and Coconut Lime Dressing
Radish Leaf and Peanut Pesto
Wheat Berries with Bacon, Arugula and Tomato
Rhubarb Custard Bars
Lemon, Lime and Basil Cookies
Fried Squash Flowers with Fresh Sage
Chickpea Tostadas with Tomato and Cucumber Pico de Gallo
Apricot and Raspberry Tart with Crumble Topping
Broccoli with Sweet and Spicy Almond Sauce
Chai Spice Cashew Butter Cookies
Pasta with Shredded Winter Vegetables
Eggnog Muffins with Streusel Topping

No comments:

Post a Comment