Monday, October 10, 2011

Hashing

Things have been a little out-of-the-ordinary in my household lately. Unfortunately, not in a let’s-bake-a-cake-to-celebrate kind of way. I’ve got visions of luscious baked goods and long-cooking comfort foods and creative uses of overflowing seasonal ingredients (like squash). I’ve got about a quadrillion recipes I’d like to try and lots of beets to hide. Dinner, however, ends up being the appropriately-named hash.


Hash is usually associated with leftovers and breakfast and lumberjacks, but I decided to try an idea I found at the blog Pinch My Salt. It’s a very straightforward application of the hash concept with a big flavor twist. This one is made with butternut squash, onions and fresh Mexican chorizo sausage. Well, I had the sausage leftover from making this chili, so all that was really threatening to hold me back was the peeling and chopping of a butternut squash.

There is one place where many recipe writers fail you, and that’s in just casually calling for peeled, cubed winter squash in a recipe. It’s not like pouring a cup of milk. A significant portion of your day, and of your sanity, is going to be required just to prepare this blandly-stated ingredient before cooking. No wonder so many people balk at making half of their dinner plate full of fruits and vegetables. Who has this kind of time?

Well, I’m going to do this same thing to you. I’m going to tell you to peel and cube some butternut squash, just to make hash. Now, I had a huge squash that I cut up, so I’ve got some more of those squash cubes waiting for me in the refrigerator, and when I make something later this week, it won’t take me so much time. But I did it. I patiently and mindfully peeled and chopped a squash. I didn’t lose my temper or curse or hurt anyone, including myself, in the process. Hey, I take my victories where I can.


This hash has a lot of flavor from the sweet and creamy squash to the spicy chorizo. The squash softens significantly as it cooks, to the point where it edges get blurred, resulting in a hash that’s got a bit of mash to it. I took a cue from the original recipe and topped our servings with a fried egg. I also garnished it all with some fresh cilantro, salsa and sour cream. It was a bit of a breakfast-for-dinner thing in the end, but when the days are topsy-turvy anyway, hash-ing things up a bit probably does us some good.

Butternut Squash and Chorizo Hash
Adapted from this recipe at Pinch My Salt

Remember, it’s going to take you some time and effort to peel and chop the squash!

2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 ½ to 2 pounds butternut squash (or other winter squash), peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
1 small red onion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
4 ounces fresh Mexican chorizo sausage
cooked eggs, prepared as desired, to serve on top of the hash
chopped cilantro, prepared salsa and sour cream to garnish

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash, onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is very soft, about 30-35 minutes.

2. Stir in the cumin and chili powder. Push the squash mixture to one half of the pan. Add the chorizo to the other half. Cook, stirring occasionally, until done, about 10 minutes. While the hash is cooking, prepare eggs for serving as desired.


3. Stir the cooked squash and cooked chorizo together. Serve topped with eggs, cilantro, salsa and sour cream as desired.

Makes 2-3 servings.

Other recipes like this one: Red Flannel Hash with Spicy Mustard, Winter Squash and Onion Curry with Yogurt Sauce

One year ago: Spinach and Feta Scones with Dill and Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes

Two years ago: Chorizo and Chipotle Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment