Tuesday, December 28, 2010

2010 in Review

2010 was the first full calendar year, January 1-December 31 of The Messy Apron. That’s 100 posts (this is number 101), about the same number of recipes and countless mediocre photos and apron cartoons that I nonetheless hope helped tell their respective stories. Wow! I think this thing has officially become a habit!

This year, I put several old favorites into what I hope is a user-friendly form suitable for sharing, and explored new messy and seasonal adventures, like homemade seitan , soufflĂ© and clafouti. I tried out new ways to use the mountains of great vegetables I get from the CSA . I continued to increase the WFQ* of our diet, but also indulged in the occasional delicious treat. I even found a new place to hide beets that’s pretty darn tasty. There were also a few recipes of dubious merit that I hope you enjoyed reading about anyway, such as an eggplant stew, and Maple Cake with Walnuts and Dates that just weren’t as perfect as I would have liked. Believe me, there were plenty of others that never even made it that far.

Some of those bombs and near misses, such as a vegetable pot pie with a squash topping, deserve another look, and I’ll be revisiting them in hopes of posting recipes here next year. There are also a few, like some fried squash blossoms I worked on last summer, that just weren’t quite ready for their close-ups and I plan to get the details ironed out so I can share them. I think there are still a few more old favorites and variations on posted recipes that deserve some time on the front page as well. With some luck, there will be more great recipes than failures in 2011. I doubt you’ll ever hear about those inevitable inedibles, however, unless they were absolutely hilarious.

As difficult as it was, I’ve limited myself to a Top 10 list of recipes posted in the last year. Here are my favorites of 2010, in no particular order. Happy New Year!!

Peanutty Noodles
Caramel Corn
Plum Upside-Down Yogurt Cake
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes and Roasted Cherry Tomato and Olive Galette (yes, that’s two recipes, but they were in the same post)
Pasta with Yellow Squash, Corn and Bacon
Spaetzle with Cabbage, Bacon and Onions
Stout Bread with Chocolate and Cherries
Beef and Guinness Pot Pie
Bean and Corn Croquettes
Spinach and Feta Souffle


*WFQ: Whole Food Quotient

No comments:

Post a Comment