Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Rosemary Cheddar Soda Bread


 
This time of year is so exciting! It’s such a thrill to be able to stir, stuff, or sprinkle something I grew in my backyard into my cooking as often as I do. Even a handful of fragrant fresh herbs turns a simple soda bread dough into a seasonal delight. Well, that and a few handfuls of cheese.

 
Soda bread couldn’t be easier to make with its relatively few ingredients and unfussy techniques. That just leaves more room, not to mention personal energy, to tinker with the batter and add extra flavors. In this case the end product is a rich and satisfying savory, cheesy bread with the vibrant piney aroma of fresh, fresh rosemary.

The sharp cheddar is really great here, but you could use other cheeses you like, or other fresh herbs. I also think you could swap in some whole grain flour. I hope to try it with a bit of rye flour, drawing on my reminiscence of rye bread and cheddar cheese sandwiches I loved as a kid. 

 
I’ve made this bread a couple of times and I like a slice of it alongside just about any simple supper. I most recently served it with Summer Vegetable Hash, and it’s good with soup or an omelet or frittata. It’s great a little warm, and when it’s a day or so old, it benefits from a bit of toasting.

While I’m enjoying this recipe as a celebration of fresh rosemary from the pot on my back patio, I’ll be happy to take this cheesy, savory version of classic Irish soda bread with me into any season.


Rosemary Cheddar Soda Bread
Adapted from foodnessgracious.com

2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup buttermilk


1. Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, pepper, and rosemary. Whisk together to combine well. Add the cheddar cheese and toss together to coat the cheese with the flour mixture,

3. Pour in the buttermilk and stir together until all of the dry mixture is moistened. Add a little more buttermilk if the mixture stays too dry.

4. Pull the dough together with your hands and dump out onto a floured surface. Gently knead the dough a few times and shape into a rough ball. The dough will be a bit wet and sticky.

5. Place the ball of dough onto the prepared baking pan. Cut a deep X in the middle of the dough, at least ¼-inch deep.

6. Bake at 425 for 20-30 minutes or until the top of the loaf is well browned and a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out with no wet batter sticking to it.

7. Cool on the pan on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes. Slice to serve, either warm or at room temperature.

Makes about 6 servings.





2 comments:

  1. This bread was a real hit. Super easy to make! I had it cooling as my parents and sister returned from a grueling trip. They were very appreciative. Made the house smell nice too. Thank you, Anne Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bread was delicious! I made it for my parents and sister for their arrival home after a difficult trip. They were very appreciative. The warm, cozy aroma provided a pleasant atmosphere for their return. In summary - easy to make and delicious. Thank you, Anne Marie.

    ReplyDelete