Thursday, February 28, 2019

Spinach and Feta Quiche



I realize that I posted a quiche recipe just a little while ago, but here’s another one anyway: no excuses, no apologies, no regrets. The basic formula is the same in its ratio of dairy and eggs, but this one has a vegetable in it. I also took down the butterfat in the filling by forgoing the luscious heavy cream and using low fat milk instead. It’s still really good. And some Parmigano-Reggiano makes up for it quite well, thank you.

While I love, love, love quiche, my relationship with pie crust has become decidedly love-hate. I want to make good pastry by hand, but find it time consuming, and when my crusts are lackluster at best, it’s really disappointing. (I try not to have rage.) For this quiche, I made my first attempt at the luxurious All Butter Pie Dough recipe in Sister Pie by Lisa Ludwinski. (I’m dying to have time to explore this book and this seemed like the proper place to start.)


This dough recipe is a labor of love, with the butter (much, much butter!) cut into the flour by hand, and the ice water-vinegar mixture worked in by hand. You may be able to do this with a food processor, but I wanted to experience this whole thing at its most primal level. About one third of the way through I was questioning my own sanity.

I used to make pie crusts this way, and I don’t remember finding them this painfully difficult. I won’t grumble, because I don’t want you to be discouraged by my laziness. I think everyone who has an interest in learning things about good food should do this for themselves. (And the engaging instructions and photos in Sister Pie are a great place to get your lessons.) In the end, the crust was probably the best I’ve ever made!


That being said, I did learn something important about making quiche, and blind baking crusts in general: you’re going to need to use visual cues and develop some experience to get the crust right. I didn’t bake mine long enough because I followed the instructions I used with the store-bought crust (and some other homemade crusts) that encased my quiches in the past. Ludwinski’s All Butter Pie Dough is special and needs more time in the oven, perhaps because of all of the butter, perhaps because the crust ends up thicker.

Ok, so quiche is much more than crust. Spinach and feta are wonderful with eggs, and this was a fabulously delicious example of that. I also stirred a dose of good parmesan (the Real stuff, actually, but use what you like) into the custard mixture, and its flavor permeates and enhances every bite. I didn’t miss the cream in the custard, but it would still be good if you like extra-rich quiche. The lighter mixture was perhaps a cleaner showcase for the spinach and the sharp, creamy feta cheese.


So, in the last few weeks, I’ve posted a rich and bacony quiche and a lighter vegetarian one. Hopefully this demonstrates the power that quiche has to take on many forms and suit many tastes and needs. Lots of things can be mixed in. It can be served at any meal. Once the crust is mastered (or purchased), it really doesn’t take very long or require many cooking tricks.

And I will continue on my pie crust Odyssey. If you really can’t do crust, there’s always frittata. Enjoy!


Spinach and Feta Quiche with Parmesan
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

You can use your favorite pie crust recipe here. I tried out the recipe for the All Butter Pie Dough in the book Sister Pie by Lisa Ludwinski, which is similar to Pate Brisee from classic sources like Martha Stewart. I found that it really needed more time in the oven during the blind baking stage, and recommend you use color and other visual cues to determine whether your crust is properly blind baked rather than time.


1 pastry for a single-crust pie
4 eggs
1 ½ cup milk (I used 2%)
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
½ cup freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
About 4 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry, about ½ cup once squeezed
½ cup crumbled feta cheese


1. Preheat oven to 450 F. Roll out the pastry dough into about a 12-inch circle. Drape into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edges decoratively if desired.

2. Spray one side of a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the foil, spray side down, on the pastry. Place pie weights inside the foil. Bake the crust at 450 F for 8 minutes, or until the crust is just beginning to brown. Remove the foil and the weights. Return to the oven and bake 4-10 minutes more, or until the crust is gently browned and appears dry. The time will depend on your crust recipe, with store-bought crusts taking less time than thicker, buttery homemade ones. When the crust is finished blind baking, remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325 F.

3. While the crust is baking, begin the filling. Beat the eggs in a medium-size bowl. Beat in the milk. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg and Parmesan.

4. Place the pie plate with the baked crust onto a sheet pan. Spread the spinach evenly over the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle the feta cheese evenly over the spinach. Pour the egg mixture over all, being careful not to overflow the crust.

5.Place the quiche on the sheet pan into the oven and bake at 325 F for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is just set. A knife inserted in the center will come out without any liquid egg on it.

6. Remove from the oven and cool at least 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 8 main-dish servings. Leftovers can be covered and stored in the refrigerator. Warm in the microwave to serve (the crust will not remain crisp, but all will still be pretty tasty.)



One year ago: Caraway Rye Soda Bread

Coming soon: Raspberry Cream Cheese Baked French Toast!



No comments:

Post a Comment