Monday, January 28, 2019

Bacon Cheddar Quiche


  
Many years ago, I would make quiche once in a while on weekends for a late breakfast or brunch. I don’t know why I wasn’t intimidated by it, since I’m not sure I really knew much about cooking back then. I did trust in recipes, however, and the one I used for quiche, which is in both editions of the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook that I have, is very good indeed.

Time, pastry fear, and the concept of the far simpler frittata (like this one and this one from really old posts) all caused me to abandon quiche for years. I set out to rediscover it recently, and I love it all over again! It does take some time to make, but, after all, I do like to cook, and I find it to be time well spent.

 
This quiche starts with a blind baked crust. I had a store-bought one on hand, so I used it up. I don’t find the ready-made crusts as satisfying as even my poorest homemade attempts, but they do win in one category: convenience. If it will make the difference between having pie and not having pie, I will go with the rolled-up crust in the box.

The crust, however, is just a vehicle for this ultra-rich filling loaded with bacon and cheddar cheese. I followed a quiche recipe some years ago that called for heavy cream in the custard, and the texture and flavor were a revelation. I decided to go that route, which made a wonderfully creamy, luxurious quiche. You definitely could lighten it up by using half and half or milk in place of the cream, but if you’re going for a winter hibernation experience, go for the cream!

 
This, of course, is a basic recipe that can be varied endlessly. Different cheeses are equally at home. Chicken, ham, cooked ground beef, no meat of any kind– all of these could sub for the bacon. More veggies, herbs, spices. Lighter, heavier. Make it your own!

However you choose to make your quiche, do make it. Make it for breakfast. Make it for brunch. Make it for lunch or supper. And then have the leftovers for breakfast!


Bacon Cheddar Quiche
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

You can use your favorite pie crust recipe here. I think this one and this one will work fine. I actually used a store-bought crust, which will do.

3 strips bacon
1 pastry for a single-crust pie
4 eggs
¾ cup milk
¾ cup heavy cream
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
¼ teaspoon coarse salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

1. Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain, cool, and chop. Set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 450 F. Roll out the pastry dough into about a 12-inch circle. Drape into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp the edges decoratively if desired.

2. Spray one side of a sheet of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Place the foil, spray side down, on the pastry. Place pie weights inside the foil. Bake the crust at 450 F for 8 minutes. Remove the foil and the weights. Return to the oven and bake 4-5 minutes more, or until the crust is beginning to brown and appears dry. When the crust is finished blind baking, remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 325 F.

3. While the crust is baking, begin the filling. Beat the eggs in a medium-size bowl. Beat in the milk and cream. Stir in the green onions, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cooked bacon.

4. In a small bowl, toss the cheese together with the flour until the cheese is well coated. Stir into the egg mixture.

5. Place the pie plate with the baked crust onto a sheet pan. Pour the egg mixture into the hot crust. Place the quiche on the sheet pan into the oven and bake at 325 F for 40-45 minutes, or until the center is just set. A knife inserted in the center will come out without any liquid egg on it.

6. Remove from the oven and cool at least 10 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.

Makes 8 main-dish servings. Leftovers can be covered and stored in the refrigerator. Warm in the microwave to serve (the crust will not remain crisp, but all will still be pretty tasty.)






No comments:

Post a Comment