Friday, August 10, 2018

Friday Night



I’ve had a little less happening on the domestic front this week, because I’ve been on vacation. It was just a short trip “Up North,” as we say. Up North has some rejuvenating and soul-cleansing places with lower populations and clear, cold water.

Vacation…

**Lake Superior



**Gooseberry Falls

 
**Good food. I actually don’t take pictures of all of my meals, so there’s no photo history of my lovely plate of yucca cannelloni stuffed with black bean puree and peppers and onions in a tofu-coconut crema with cilantro (!). Or the lovely veggie burger with wild rice. It tasted like vegetable soup and was accompanied by what are now my favorite, perfectly seasoned fries.


The garden…

**Zucchini! Lucky for me I love its many, many uses. Recently, I hit a home run with friends and this recipe (I just posted it yesterday), and I promise to get the recipe for this delicious Zucchini Cheddar Risotto up soon.


**I’ve also got lots of tomatoes, which makes me happier than I can even describe. My go-to for just-picked tomatoes? A simple sandwich on toast: mayonnaise (sometimes homemade with egg from this recipe or with tofu from this one), thick slabs of super-fresh tomato, a few torn basil leaves, and a sprinkling of coarse salt. I’ve been using a Pinot Noir salt (!) lately, but anything will do. This sandwich is particularly great on Whole Wheat Cornmeal Bread with Basil, or Zucchini Wheat Bread (pictured).



The weekend…

**Persied Meteor Shower! Here’s a link to an explanation of this phenomenon from my husband, Harry’s, site. He’s a professional. Go there and learn! And then find a dark place and look up on Saturday or Sunday night. I plan to!


Another post like this one: A Culinary Pause


No comments:

Post a Comment