Monday, September 4, 2017

12 September Favorites




My favorite September recipes are kind of a jumble of different delicious things. Summer is usually still around for a while, but I’m doing different things with the seasonal fruit and vegetable bounty, like roasting, stewing, and making pies. I still make salads, but many of them are of a heartier, main dish style. And fall tailgating gives me just the right excuse to make savory snacks, even if I tend to tailgate from the couch.

Of course, my absolute favorite fruits of September are the dozens of locally-grown apples I cook with, bake with, and eat out of hand. I’m leaving the apples for another post, however, so other dishes and produce can shine here.

One of my all-time favorite bean salads was in a September post, Cheddar Bacon White Bean Salad. It’s a bit indulgent for a salad with its chopped bacon, cheddar cheese cubes, and walnuts in addition to vegetables, like bell pepper and celery.


I love to use a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes in this Roasted Tomato and Olive Galette.

  
Potato Sauerkraut Cakes are somewhat unique with as much sauerkraut as potatoes making them savory and delightful.


Back to school may be your thing this time of year. If so (or even if not), these Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Energy Bars may be just the thing for busy mornings, lunch boxes, and afternoon pick-me-ups.


And as September gets older and colder, spicy stews and soups, like Split Pea and Vegetable Curry or Noodle Bowl with Spicy Greens, are good places to warm up the rest of the garden vegetables for deliciously cozy suppers.


Dips like Bean Dip with Sour Cream, Salsa, and Cheese, and Grilled Zucchini and Feta Dip are perfect for your tailgate snack spread. Leave room for a Cheddar Jalapeno Cheese Ball, too.


And a Melon and Lime Cocktail isn’t too bad for washing down those September snacks.


For dessert, something perky like Lime Bars with Graham Cracker Crust is fabulous.

 
But my favorite September dessert (without apples) is Plum and Grape Galette with Almonds. I love to use little, sweet locally grown grapes and plums to make it.


I promise to get to a discussion of all the delicious recipes using September’s apples soon. If you don’t want to wait until then, you can look them up in the Index. Enjoy!









No comments:

Post a Comment