Sunday, July 31, 2016

Recipe Revisit: Buttermilk Herb Dressing




Most of us have one of those special foods that is very close to our hearts. One of those ingredients that makes everything a little bit better for us. Many of us even say we would eat even the most inedible things if they were drenched in our favorite deliciousness vehicle.

Actually, I probably have several of those special loves. It’s best I say less about that rather than more, and keep this post focused solely on creamy, ranch-style buttermilk salad dressing. I just love it!

I try to have homemade foods when I can, even though my time is a bit crunched these days. I will certainly buy bottled dressings rather than do without, but if I’m feeling even slightly un-lazy, I will whisk together my own salad dressing. I was being mostly un-lazy a while back when I threw together a quick ranch dressing, just going from what sounded good, rather than looking up the recipe in this post (which I hadn’t referenced in a long time.)

After taking a peek back at that old recipe, I decided my revisit was better. I kept it simple so it can be quick and easy, using garlic and onion powders for flavoring. I also love fresh dill in this dressing, although other fresh or even dried herbs would be good, too. This dressing could also be the foundation upon which to add lots of other flavors. You could use cilantro and add a splash of lime juice, stir in salsa, or add smoked paprika, cumin or chili powder to make a Southwestern flavored dressing. Throw everything in a blender with avocado. Use tarragon for your herb and add some Dijon mustard.


In its simplest form, which I offer below, this is a delicious salad dressing and dipping sauce. I’ve been eating that dressing on green salads as well as on a chopped vegetable salad with chickpeas that I hope to tell you about soon. I can’t wait to try some of those other flavor ideas to expand the use of this recipe as my go-to, homemade, I’d-eat-a-stick-if-it-was-dipped-in-this-stuff Ranch-style dressing.  


Buttermilk Herb Salad Dressing

1 cup buttermilk
¼ mayonnaise
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon minced fresh or dried dill
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine the buttermilk, mayonnaise, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl. Whisk together to combine well. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Keep refrigerated for a week or so.

Makes about 1 ¼ cup.





No comments:

Post a Comment