Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Peanut Butter Cup Peanut Butter Cookies


Okay, so it’s no longer cookie season. So I’m supposed to be inspiring you with healthy, low-calorie dishes. I’m supposed to be tackling some grueling resolution or other and telling you about the high Whole Food Quotient, low-fat, unprocessed, locally-sourced, but still fabulously delicious way I’m doing it.

I do believe in a wholesome diet based on many of those things, but the fact is, I’ve been hungering for peanut butter desserts since last January. LAST JANUARY! But then it was January and I had to watch what I was eating because of the post-holiday bulge and I was going to make something peanut buttery for Valentine’s Day, but then I didn’t, so now, still hungry for sweet peanut butter confections, I made peanut butter cookies. Peanut butter cookies with peanut butter cups in them.

 

I got this recipe from my mom a long time ago. I’m not sure where she got it, but it was one that was “going around” her potluck circles (like some kind of virus?) years ago. And they’re special. Sure they’re loaded with chopped miniature peanut butter cups, which would make just about anything special, but the actual cookie part of these cookies is special too. They’re pleasantly crisp on the outside, moist and chewy on the inside. Intensely peanut buttery. Delicious
 
I think you could replace the peanut butter cups with chocolate or peanut butter chips or a combination of the two. You probably could leave all those add-ins out and still have a fabulously delicious peanut butter cookie. The ultimate peanut butter cookie? I’ll go out on a limb and say, “perhaps.”
 
It is January, however, the season of post-holiday deprivation and health-related resolutions. I didn’t eat all of those few dozen cookies. I’ve found a very hungry group of cookie testers who seemed happy to take them off my hands. 

I have no idea who took a bite out of this one. Not one clue.

 


Peanut Butter Cookies with Peanut Butter Cups
From my mom

You could use creamy peanut butter if you prefer or replace the peanut butter cups or omit them as desired.


2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 cup crunchy peanut butter
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups chopped miniature peanut butter cups, such as Reese’s brand (about one 9-ounce package, unwrapped)

 
1. In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift or whisk together to combine well. Set aside.

2. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer (or in a medium-size bowl if you are stirring by hand), combine the butter, peanut butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Beat together until creamy and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat them in until well-combined. Beat in the vanilla extract.

3. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the peanut butter cups. Cover and chill the dough for at least 2 hours (overnight is even better). The dough can also be wrapped well and frozen at this point for later use.

4. Preheat oven to 350 F.  Very lightly spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray. Drop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons (I actually use a 2-inch scoop, and highly recommend that) onto the cookie sheet leaving an inch or two between each cookie.

5. Bake at 350 F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the pan 2 minutes. Remove with a spatula to a wire rack to cool. Store in an air-tight container for a few days.


I forgot to make note of how many cookies there are in this batch, but I think it’s about 4 dozen.

 
Other recipes like this one: Chocolate Peanut Drop Cookies, Chai Spice Cashew Butter Cookies, Milk Chocolate Chip and M&M Cookies, Peanut Butter and Banana Breakfast Cookies



No comments:

Post a Comment